In the early 1920's, a small Sunday School was started in the home of Mrs. R.N. Barber, Sr. Soon it outgrew the home and services were held in a store building that was owned by the Barbers. In May 1925, Barberville Missionary Baptist Church was organized, and Rev. Bill Pruitt was called as its first pastor. Rev. Pruitt was better known as “Uncle Bill”.
Rock Church 1936-1963
In 1936, a rock church was built on a lot, at the same address of the present church, that had been purchased from Mr. & Mrs. Jess R. Burress for $100. The rock for the building was hauled by Carl Cunningham, and a piano was donated by the First Baptist Church of Waynesville. The WMU, under the direction of Mrs. B.H. "Effie" Burress, financed the roof for the building, as well as the lights and carpet. Later, the ladies purchased another lot from Mr. & Mrs. Burress for another $100.00. The ladies made quilts, crocheted bedspreads and other handmade items to help with the expenses of the building. In the 1950's, additional rooms were built at the back of the rock church.
Brick Church and Fellowship Hall 1963 - 2008
The property where the present sanctuary is built was purchased, and the rock church was torn down after completion of a new facility in 1963.
In the 1980's, a prayer room was added where anyone could come and pray at any time. Since that time, another prayer room was added with an outside entrance. In 1990, a tape ministry, which continues today in CD form, was started with tapes made each week for the sick and shut-ins.
In 1998, the entire sanctuary was renovated with new paint, carpet, lights, pew coverings, and baptistry curtain. Many of the improvements were placed in memory or in honor of family and friends.
From 1999 through 2007, many improvements were made including repainting and refurnishing of the classrooms, tiling the front porch, pavement of the parking lot, as well as installation of a new lighted sign in 1999, which weekly exhibits new Bible services and activities that are read by all who pass our way. Many of these improvements were also memorials or accomplished by donations given specifically for designated purposes.
In 2008, both Educational Buildings were burned and most of the contents lost.
New Educational Building and Fellowship Hall Completed in 2010
After going through a building program, the new Educational Building (all on one floor) was completed in 2010; and an "Open House" was held on Saturday, October 9, 2010. We are very thankful to Jesus for seeing us through this difficult time.
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee; when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flames kindle upon thee." (Isaiah 43:2 - KJV)
Election of New Pastor - 2012
Rev. Kristopher "Kris" Estep was elected Pastor on September 16, 2012. The Lord is truly blessing the Barberville Baptist Church family through the leadership and guidance of Pastor Estep. We are so thankful for Kris, his wife Becky and their baby daughter, Piper. Many new members have united with our fellowship since September 2012, and spiritual growth of the membership is evident. We are confident the Lord will continue to pour out His blessings as our Pastor preaches and teaches the uncompromised Word of God.
YES, Barberville Baptist Church has come a long way since May of 1925. Our prayer is that we will always remain a "Country Church" where everyone feels at home and everyone is always welcomed. We hope we will always be a "lighthouse" to all who pass our way.
Information provided by Hazel M Fulbright, Church Historian and Member of Barberville since June 1949